Saturday, December 27, 2008

painting progression

I'd like to keep a progression record for the first time on a painting. I haven't drawn anything or painted anything in a good year or two. I wonder how not being artistically productive can effect your work.
I painted Joaquin Phoenix in like 2003 or so, way before his portrayal of Johnny Cash. But, River Phoenix has always been my not so secret love. So, I'm finally painting him to go along with the Joaquin...the strange thing is, I started a River before Joaquin and found the canvas the other day. I should probably finish it...

Original River portrait started 2003

I'm glad I read somewhere it's pretty cool to take pictures as you progress on a painting. You can see what you need to work on from a different angle. Geez, this painting has far to go. Shading, shading, shading. The whole face needs a lot done to it among other large things.


Acrylic on canvas.
Started 12/25/08:

River 1

River 2

12/29/08
1 hour more of basic shading, got rid of the building in the background
Photo 167
1/5/09
shading on the nose, some shading on the cheek, working slowly to fix the mouth
IMG_1749

No comments:

Post a Comment