Saturday, March 19, 2011

It's a difficult time in Japan

I'm sorry to take so long to write in my blog. I've been preoccupied and extremely busy especially with the heavy burden of Friday March 11, 2011 on my mind. I had been in my apartment simply enjoying hanging out with Les when Sciby skyped me asking if I was ok. All I thought he meant was "How is it going?" I thought he was asking about my general well being. "Hey, yeah, I'm fine!" I was more concerned about how he was doing since he had landed home in Australia after 3 and half years here literally two days earlier. Little did I know he was watching footage at home in Australia about the massive quake. He mentioned the earthquake and I didn't really think much of it. Japan is full of the. But, when he said it was an 8.9 magnitude at the time, I threw on the news and saw the devastation in progress.
I watched as the tsunami waters receded and saw all the overturned boats and the footage of the massive wave simply wiping out the small towns on TV. I couldn't believe the devastation. It took a few days for the damage to be fully exposed and it's been on everyone's mind since. All my lessons seem to steer towards the subject. A few students of mine are in an unhealthy state of mind because they've stuck to the TV screen about everything occurring. I don't recommend this because it only puts you in an extremely low state and only effects your well being when everything is out of your hands.

What irks me is the level of sensationalism America and other countries have decided to take this to. While Japanese have been stoic and calm throughout this catastrophe, Americans are stockpiling on anti-radiation medicine. WTF?! The shit happened here in Japan. If anybody needs those meds, it's these people. If you are kind enough to donate, please find the local red cross in your area and I'm almost positive that they have a fund set up for Japan right now. So many places do.

Here are some links that my personnel department sent to us located in the Kinki region:

A site that has collected very credible information is the MIT Nuclear Science and Engineering Nuclear Information Hub http://mitnse.com/. They have dedicated their homepage to providing up-to-date and accurate information available from Fukushima. Please take some time to read through the entire page as they even go into a highlight review of what has happened over the last couple of days.

For information about current radiation measurements throughout Japan, please have a look at the Nuclear Safety Technology Center’s website: http://www.bousai.ne.jp/eng/.

Gaijinpot has created a special website which posts regularly updated information about the current situation, along with advice and precautions that people should take. Please have a look at the following: http://injapan.gaijinpot.com/earth-quake-information/

I'm fine. As of today, so far nothing has sent me packing. But, I'm still on the cautious side of things and will remain there until I'm 100% sure it's ok to stay. I'm moving April 1st into Osaka to be closer to my friends and have the ability to make new ones. I love Kyoto, but the general state of people placed here are that they are married men and/or set in their ways and not open to making new buddies. I will be farther away from my friend Shoko, but taking that train is nothing compared to having her as my friend. I'll take photos of my new apartment which I really love and be more regular with updates of things happening here. 
My  kid classes ended today and I'll post photos of them soon. It was a heartbreaking day and I got nothing but love and presents from all of them. I brought them presents too though, so hopefully they felt the love as well. Next year is going to be a doozy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment