Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Making a leap

I'm no longer going to be a Kyoto resident as of tomorrow evening. I fell in love with this city in 2005 and vowed to myself I would return and live here. Mission accomplished. Little did I know that Kyoto socially is probably the worst place to be. As an older 20-something, it's simply filled with married couples and/or families that come to settle here. It's no place for someone who looks for the entertainment a hub of activity that Osaka can provide. I love Kyoto for it's beauty and it's history.

I still love Kyoto. That hasn't changed, but spending the ungodly amount on train fair to get back and forth between Osaka and Kyoto is just ridiculous. There is a downside to the move. Britta leaves the day I move into my place. It's starting to hit me now a bit more after she gave me her financial info so I can send her home her last paycheck. It feels so bittersweet. She and I really had a connection and now I'm losing the one friend I think that I truly felt I found a best friend in. She will always be my friend and I know that I will visit Vancouver just to see her. It's not if but when. When I move back to Austin, she plans on coming to see me eventually. Who knows when, but it will happen one day. Maybe not for a couple of years, but I promise to make it happen.


I'm ready to make the jump to Osaka though. It means access to so much. I'm moving to part of Osaka called Juso. In this area, I'm about an equal distance from Kyoto, Kobe, and literally minutes from Osaka. I'm on a train line now called the Hankyu line that is much cheaper than the JR line that I am now on.
The new schedule starts Friday and what's great is that all my schools are one shot away on the Hankyu line. There are no change over's like I had to frequently do with where I live now. I have been lucky so far in acquiring things that I need for my apartment. I found a really amazing couch for only 8500 yen which is about $70 USD.

Thanks to Les, he's been letting me slowly take bags of things day by day to store at his place to store until I move. If everything goes as it should, the movers should be coming tomorrow to pick up my things to move. It's amazing how much crap you somehow acquire only in 10 months. His roommate is less than thrilled to have another girl kinda invading the apartment a bit, but it's not like I get in her way. They have a third room where this couch is sitting and it's quite out of the way with my stuff on it.
He's been quite the help. I don't get my piece o' heaven mattress until the 3rd, so I have a place to stay until then. I can start moving everything in starting on the first though. I have to be there on the 3rd to get my gas turned on and also have the mattress delivered. My internet won't be installed probably within a couple of weeks, but I will still be available through my iphone. It's times like these that I'm glad I have that little machine.

A lot will be happening within the next week so I will do my best to try and keep my blog up to date with progress. I'd love to take pictures of the new apartment and show my first real place that I got myself and it's mine. Finally, at 27. I did this myself. (well, with a lot of help with Les) :P

No comments:

Post a Comment