Monday, July 5, 2010

successes

     I successfully ordered an iphone 4 yesterday after I had written the blog entry below. I went to another softbank that was about a 10 minute bike ride away. It's funny because on the map everything looks so far away. When in fact it's actually not that far of a ride at all. I have to wait a month before I can receive my phone because I've been put on a waitlist for it. That's ok though. My ARC (Alien Registration Card) is not available in that amount of time as well.
     I talked to another softbank personnel and the guy was such a help. He was obviously worried about communication issues, but both of us pushed through it and figured it all out. The ladies at the other softbank saw me and decided right then and there not to deal with the hassle. I understand though. When there is an obvious language barrier, the almost immediate human reaction for most is to get frustrated and want to get away from the situation. I'm guilty of it when a spanish speaking person would come into the store and I would try to explain things to them that I couldn't translate.
    It's a natural reaction. I do get a lot of stares even though I'm in a city that is filled with foreigners and that will take some time to get used to. It makes you a bit self conscious. I'm wondering "Do I have a booger sticking out of my nose?" No, I think the blonde hair and pale skin immediately has them do a double take.
Anywho, across the street I went into the Aeon mall that had a Jusco in it. I needed a different bar hanger for my wardrobe and more hangers. I bought some frozen foods and veggies and didn't realize that people are bringing their own bags to fill their purchases with. I felt like an idiot. So, random stranger comes in to save the day. She hands me the bag and I couldn't have thanked her more. I tried expressing gratitude by bowing and saying thank you. I hope it was enough. Sometimes people here just surprise you with their generosity. I felt bad though walking out without saying more. I wish I could have expressed my gratitude more than me stumbling through "Doumo Arigatou Gozaimasuuuu!"

So, the day ended pretty well. Besides the kitchen fiasco that turned out just fine, I got to eat my broccoli and mac n' cheese and my toaster oven and microwave are in good working order.

No comments:

Post a Comment