Monday, December 27, 2010

Lifer


So, the last thing I expected to hear when I got off the plane on Wednesday was that Brandy was going to be in town. We both didn't know it, so it was such a wonderful surprise and it felt so good just to go hang out with my lifer. It's not some menial term when I say that either. She has been my closest friend since we were in diapers. I was due after Brandy actually, but I was born 6 weeks premature, so somehow I ended up being the older one. Either way, seeing her at least once a year, if that, does have it's frustrations. But, we've been doing it since we were 3. She moved to CA when we were 3 ad have kept up our relationship through good times and bad and we both see ourselves being old crotchety ladies together one day.

I dragged her to this "singles mixer" and boy, was it awkward. I know we showed up a bit too early. It was like 9pm and it was literally 4 people and us. They were dancing and one was dancing like he was having seizures. We stayed for about an hour just to kinda wait and see if anyone else would show but to no avail. So, we went over to Rio Rita and had a really good time there just talking. I found out so much more about her time in Africa that I was really surprised to hear didn't go as smoothly as I had thought. It actually was quite the opposite. She had the most trying and difficult time in Africa. Her experience there makes my problems in Japan sound so minuscule.

After Rio Rita, we headed back to the party and it was much more lively. They had a firepit going  and we sat around it for a little while. When I went to Erin's party on Thursday, I saw a guy there I hadn't seen since high school. Lo and behold, he's sitting at the firepit. It's just strange to see someone you haven't seen in years twice in four days. While Brandy and I were walking in, I got to say hello to Jesse and his friend while they were walking out. His girl was at the firepit, but we didn't stick around. That was the extent of the people I knew there and it ended up just being really lame. No one was actually cool enough to spark up a conversation though I tried a few times. Brandy and I felt kinda like we were back at some high school party or some members only kind of shtick. I think that will be the last time I go to a "Singles mixer."

We headed home after that and sat out in the car just talking for a while longer before she headed in. I dunno when I'll see her next. It might be another year that goes by but the great thing about her is that we always pick up where we left off without any awkwardness.
I really wish we could live in the same city. Having someone like that in your life is so important.

No comments:

Post a Comment