Friday, December 10, 2010

Mama


I haven't done a portrait with pencil in god knows how long. I think it's been years now. So, I may be a bit rusty. I started drawing mama today (grandma for people that don't know me and well, I doubt anybody reads this thing anyways) and so far it's a very, very preliminary sketch. I need to tweak and shade some more. I need to get the other eye in because in portraits, to me it's all about the eyes. If the eyes aren't right, you don't have a good portrait. Period.
So, I have to make sure her eyes are spot on and then from there it should be fairly simple getting the rest of the features in line with her eyes. The face feels a bit wide without that other eye, but I'm pretty sure once I draw it in, it won't be so distracting. I like looking at photos of process though. I can take a look at this tomorrow and know where to pick up again and go. It feels good to get pencil to paper. I haven't done it in so long.
This is from a photo when my grandma was in high school. So, her hair is a mass of curls in a 1950's-60's bob. The more I look at her photo, the more I see how many freckles she had! It makes me happy because I can see that maybe that's where my odd patches of freckles come from. I hope I can do this really well and make her proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment