Sunday, December 19, 2010

Vintage shopping and new appreciation for heartache

Last night I went out with Britta to a dance DJ night in Namba that one of my fellow trainees was DJing at. All in all, it was a good night. Danced, sang karaoke, and then crashed at her place.
I can say for a fact that I think that though Juso is a convenient place to live, they really jip you on the digs. My literal "bedroom" is the size of her whole entire apartment. At 9am, they started doing construction that literally shook the building. We shared her tiny bed and the poor girl can't even leave her heat on because it will add more to the already exuberant amount she pays for the place.
It makes me that much more appreciative of the set up I have in Kyoto until March. Everything is one bill and the place is decently sized for a central location in a beautiful city. I just can't complain.

We woke up and talked like girls do and finally got out and went back to Namba after taking a really nice long walk from Yodoyobashi station rather than stay on the subway. It was a beautiful day and I did get some pretty interesting video and pics from just that jaunt.
We went and explored the area and found quite a few vintage shops. I nearly died when I found a vintage 1987 David Bowie tour T-shirt, but the price was retarded and they literally were selling a Foreigner shirt for almost $150 with stains and holes. No thank you.
We did run into a few amazing places with some really interesting vintage things like old metal lunch boxes. My personal favorite was the Gremlins one that I spotted, but for the most part is was more of a window shopping outing.
I guess what kinda put me in a damper spirit by the end was that we went into a store where the guy had a long row of nothing but vintage tshirts ALL reasonably priced. None were over $20. I stumbled upon so many band tees of bands I would kill to own, but the sizes were just way too large. It was definitely a man's store. When I came across a Vintage Bee Gees t-shirt from the Staying Alive era, I nearly squealed. I wanted to buy that thing so badly.
Then it hit me.
The reason I wanted to buy it so badly was because I had in mind only one person I wanted to buy it for. I think I hit a new step in this whole process. The deep heartache.
I just put it away back on the rack and had to literally walk away from the store because a random vintage shirt started the whole process of "I must get this for!.......oh."
It feels like something silly to write about, but it kinda set me back. In a way, all day I was going into these stores and seeing things that I wanted to buy not for me, but for others. When I got to the Bee Gees shirt, I just kinda gave up.
We ended our window shopping excursion and said our goodbye's for the Holidays. She's off to Australia with her mom and I'm off back to Texas.
Off to Texas thinking about Bee Gee's tshirts and a pit in my stomach.

2 comments:

  1. It's the most terrible catch-22. If you don't leave the house you just stew and reminisce. If you leave the house everything reminds you of him.

    Glad to hear you had a nice time in Osaka though. We need to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, we do. I'm not staying through June as previously thought. My contract ends in March and so I'm leaving in April. Time to get home and start working towards having a different education and hopefully get into grad school. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete