Sunday, January 23, 2011

Blue Valentine


It's strange how one movie parallels so many aspects of one's own life. Of course there are major differences in the film and my previous relationship, but it's strange how I watched this movie and could almost feel like the screenwriters had taken a true look at what it feels like to be in a relationship that can be damaging. What was amazing is that you could feel the bond between these two characters fall into despair, but you never really were given a pinpoint reason for the unhappiness between them. 

I think Michelle Williams and Ryan Gosling deserve an Oscar for those performances. It felt so tangible. So palpable. It wasn't a typical Hollywood script. It really felt like you were a voyeur in this couple's life.

I think both characters had characteristics that both Stephen and I shared. While being warm and emotional, he could also be devoid of emotion at times and act distant. I believe to be the same for me. But, the movie almost gave a glimpse of a future I don't ever want. I don't ever want to end up in a loveless marriage where the only connection I have with a significant other is a child. 
SPOILER ALERT:
(Well, at least one that is genetically both ours)
You can highlight the above if you've seen the movie or don't care about spoilers.

I wasn't into seeing this film at first. To me, I felt like it was just going to be another depressing relationship movie (well, it is), but what it has is so much more integrity to it. I feel like this film could have been a non-fiction picture. 
Bravo, Derek Cianfrance. I hope you get at least an Oscar nod for that one.
It's amazing how one film probably hits close to home for so many people. Unfortunately, this one did in particular ways in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment