Saturday, January 1, 2011

I was 11.

When I first heard this song I immediately became enamored with Bjork. My memory is watching this on MTV and somehow my father knew her from The Sugarcubes.  As soon as he saw the video with me sitting there just tunnel focused on the aesthetics of the video, he had his mind only on grabbing his hands on that Bjork album.

I always talk about my dad being a music enthusiast and I really do mean it. He has or had over 15,000? albums. I remember he counted one day and it was quite a massive collection. It was such a large amount that it took up an entire closet from top to bottom in our home. I was introduced to so many bands by him. He wasn't the greatest man, but he did leave me with a wide variety of music tastes. From the Misfits to Shocking Blue, he had everything in between. I'll never forget him BLASTING his music out of the house with the windows open. I remember a particular night when I was about 14 and he had decided to play Type O Negative's Black No. 1 and Christian Woman. My neighbors were less than amused and called the cops with a noise complaint. I'm surprised it's the only one I can recall.
The thing is that he did it ever since I can remember. Since I was a child, I will always have the memory of my house being so loud with music that sometimes to go get something to eat in the kitchen required me to plug my ears with my fingers.
His prize possession is his mint condition the Beatles "baby doll parts" album. It's worth quite a bit today because of it's rarity. I remember him handling it with the utmost care and using gloves to pull it out and show me. I still feel nostalgic when I enter a record store because I expect to see my dad there thumbing through every single row with a careful eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment