Thursday, January 6, 2011

Moving on, moving on

So, I got a promising email from the graduate advisor at the UT school of information science. I explained my situation with my GPA and my plans to take courses to up that and also study my ass off for the GRE. She suggested doing those things, but focusing very intensely on a Statement of Purpose and getting letters of recommendation from Professors. I know one particular professor that taught film history and she was a sweetheart. Knowing she's faculty in this particular school gives me a tiny spark of hope.
I'm looking at a gamble here. I'm going to be taking courses to up my GPA while also studying to do well on the GRE. Then I have to really work on this statement of purpose and get it so that it captures the Graduate committee and I need to butter up and get to know a lot of the professors within the school. I have to do all this and then cross my fingers that I get accepted. If I don't, then I will have at least increased my GPA and have taken the GRE so that I can possibly apply elsewhere. I don't want to do that because Texas has the #1 preservation program. But, it's what life will hand me.

I'm happy to have something to work towards. I was feeling very empty and very scared about my future because I knew that I would leave Japan on April 1st/July 1st (decision yet to be made) and have no clue of what to do with myself. I love film. With this program, I could preserve film! I've always been fascinated by old artifacts and buildings. I love history. Thinking of working in a museum or being the one to restore an old book really gets my brain cogs moving. I've got a collection of old german books from my family farm that I want to preserve. There are so many directions I could go with it or so many other directions I could go with obtaining special certifications in other areas of preservation or the general information science route.

BUT. The big BUT. I have to work really hard. I have to push and push and push. I'm going to be engulfed in this endeavor. Of course I will be upset if I get denied, but then I should go ahead and just apply to other schools or other grad programs. We'll see. All I know is that for now, I plan to start studying for the GRE and getting ready to set up my class schedule for the fall semester. The first step was getting back into UT. That I did. Next, time to up that GPA and kill on the GRE. One step at a time.
I'm hoping this focus will also help me think less about the break up and more about my future. I already feel better knowing I've got something to work towards. I think that's the most important thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment