Monday, January 17, 2011

Why am I apologizing?

    A lot of people that know me know that I grew up in a household filled with music. Mostly metal. Mostly 1980's heavy metal. I grew up knowing three David's. David Lee Roth, David Coverdale (yes, from Whitesnake), and David Bowie. From Dokken to Missing Persons to The Beatles and back again, I was constantly either watching MTV or hearing my dad play his records. The TV unfortunately became my babysitter and rock in general became a part of me from a young age.

    Now that I'm 27 and getting older, I'm finding myself almost apologizing for the music I like. Why? I shouldn't have to apologize for liking cheesy metal. It's not like it's the only thing I listen to. I listen to a wide range of music. Thank god for my grandpa who introduced me to true old country. I found my own niche in what I like by exploring things my mom hated just because she hated it (For example The Cure).
    My family can't stand hip hop or rap. But, I have a respect for early hip hop and rap when it was more about a social message than shooting up bitches and how much bling you have. I have some favorite hip hop artists I enjoy listening to quite a bit despite the dirty looks my mom gets on her face when she hears it. But, c'mon. Nowadays, she's listening to operatic power metal. That's definitely not my thing.
    I also found my own weird ensemble of almost bohemian-like women that I love. Bat for Lashes, Goldfrapp, Joanna Newsom, and Oh Land are just to name a few.


Muse was my favorite contemporary rock band for the last 8 or so years until recently when it seemed that fame and making crap was more important than their integrity. I'll always give them a chance after the last disaster of an album, but I dunno if they will ever get back to the time when they were producing music like on Origin of Symmetry or Absolution.

    David Bowie has consistently stayed with me. No, it wasn't Labyrinth that did it. Though, it's not like it didn't help. No, it was Ziggy Stardust. The Thin White Duke. Aladdin Sane. From the age of 5, I was obsessed with this man who dressed in the most fantastic of ways. He was fearless. He was avant-garde. He was magical. 
   
    The whole reason this post got started was because I was finding myself editing the music I like around certain people. I shouldn't have to do that. Also, if I'm to have any luck finding a new relationship one day, this person will have to accept or just at least laugh with me about the music I listen to. If they don't, then they must not be for me. Everyone has their tastes and everyone has their bands that they despise. But, c'mon. Don't knock anyone down for what they like. Even if the do like shit like Creed.

Taking a moment here to totally be a hypocrite. Creed fucking sucks. You cannot argue against it.

    Anyways, I'm not going to edit my taste in music anymore around people. If I want to throw on Motley Crue at karaoke, I'm gonna do it. Skid Row? I'll be screaming Youth Gone Wild into that microphone. But,  I can turn it around and sing Magic by Olivia Newton-John. Here you go. The perfect ending for a blog entry that's just me bitching at nothing.


   
    

  

4 comments:

  1. yes! i love yer blog..i see now i have lotts of reading to do...awesome.. PS-i love oh land too weee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have any suggestions on bands to look into, send 'em my way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nevermind. I've subscribed to your blog and basically have so many band suggestions just on the first page. I also have a lot of reading to do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Things you should never feel bad about:

    1.) Eating too much candy when you have your period

    2.) Loving hair metal - it is good music!

    Also I can't believe your mom likes operatic power metal. What is she listening to, Nightwish? Epica? Kamelot? Such wizardy stuff.

    ReplyDelete